Large-scale migration from Oracle to cloud-native Amazon RDS with zero downtime and large savings for a leading financial regulator
About the Company
A leading financial regulator enabling investors and firms to navigate the increasingly complex regulatory environment and compliance to the trading market.
The financial regulator had multiple critical applications running on more than 200 relational databases. The company was looking to migrate these relational databases from ORACLE to AWS RDS – POSTGRES for improved performance, governance, and scalability. These applications were integral to market functioning, compliance, and integrity so there cannot be any downtime during and post-migration.
While migrating to AWS RDS, it was also important to establish data governance for RDBMS and meet PCI, SOX, NPI/PPI compliance needs. One of the goals was to ensure the high availability of applications and relational databases to be scaled based on the needs and traffic requirements of the applications.
What we did
Data Encryption using KMS setup
Multi-AZ disaster recovery setup
AWS RDS Migration
The company had already adopted to AWS cloud and had mature enterprise operations, governance, DevOps, and approval policies. CompuGain utilized enterprise policies, foundations, and frameworks to establish:
- Data Governance
- Data Encryption using KMS setup
- Multi-AZ disaster recovery setup
- Our team re-engineered, developed pipelines, and migrated data from on-prem Oracle relational databases to RDS – POSTGRES.
- We set up the application testing suite for execution and set up the Jenkins pipeline to run and manage automated testing.
- Our team of AWS experts created a schema in the target POSTGRES database by converting the source oracle database schema utilizing the help of AWS SCT.
- We set up AWS DMS to load the data from the source database to the target database and implemented automated processes to trigger DMS.
- We also utilized open source packages like Ora2pg to convert Oracle and MySQL databases to POSTGRES SQL automatically. We also enabled the pub-sub model with the relational data warehouse to sync up the application’s source data.
Result and Outcomes
The large-scale migration of RDBMS to cloud-native Amazon RDS helped the company achieve the following outcomes and benefits.
downtime during the large scale migration
application relational databases
migrated to the cloud
total active users are now enjoying the seamless experience
- Considerable savings in database licensing costs
- Better Scalability, resiliency, and governance achieved
- Faster time-to-market with the increased speed of changes
- CDC enabled for the application data warehouse to application database sync
- No disruption to the critical applications during SLA hours